Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Story of Summit Soapworks

I had an opportunity this week to participate in a marketing event at the Vermont Welcome Center in Fair Haven. It was asked that I send some background about me and my "story" and in writing it up I realized that many of my regular customers, those I've known for years, probably aren't aware of my story either so I thought I'd share it here:

The Story of Summit Soapworks

My search for simple, natural products led to the creation of Summit Soapworks Herbal Soaps in my Mt. Holly, Vermont kitchen, in the spring of 2000. Finding myself allergic to commercial soap products that caused me to break out I began making soap. Armed with an old soapmaking book, pot, wooden spoon and my very first soap mold - a recycled milk carton, I was on my way to making the first of thousands of beautiful, creamy, moisturizing soaps! Thank goodness that my father took pity on me and built some real wooden molds, which are still used today. I then traveled around to craft shows in the Northeast, peddling soaps and very often sleeping in the back of my pickup truck, cooking over fires, at many different campgrounds.

In the summer of 2001 Summit Soapworks moved to Ludlow, in a trailer I rented on Pond Street, divided between the soap business and my living quarters. A little cramped and you can guess that I sat in the living room surrounded by bars of drying soap. In the fall of 2002, running out of room again, I moved the soap business into my friend’s basement (the Goodman family of Goodman’s American Pie - next door) and existed there until my husband and I purchased our home in Cavendish, off of 20 mile stream Road. Again I moved into a basement and again ran out of space so Summit Soapworks has come back to Ludlow on Main Street.

Thousands and thousands of Summit Soapworks soaps and other bath products have been made by hand. And hundreds of craft shows in the Northeast have been participated in, with two new members of our family added along the way. And still, today and everyday, I am honored and thrilled that other folks have enjoyed my soaps and found relief for their own sensitive skin. I always welcome suggestions for new scents - some of my favorites were suggestions from clients and friends. And, if you ask my husband he'll tell you, I love to visit with folks so please feel free to stop by at the shop or craft shows and say “hey“. Our soaps are very special to us because they connect and bridge us to nature and a more simple lifestyle, before chemicals and preservatives were used to alter products and shelf-life. I hope that you feel this same connection and enjoy our soaps!

Thanks for visiting!

No comments: