Sunday, March 22, 2009

Passing the last winter days

The ski season is winding down, so the shop is a little slower pace and we've had more time to pass the last of the winter days. One of our favorite activities is shoveling some of the larger snow banks and "spreading the snow" around our paved driveway and doing the snow melt dance, don't laugh, many Vermonters do this, well, not the snow melt dance part but definitely the spreading of the snow around. I know that it's working because I have to reach higher and higher lately to put food in the bird feeders. The other day Jaycob heard geese and while everyone says that robins are the first sign of spring, I'm a firm believer that it's really the geese that know what they're doing.

We don't have cable or a satellite dish, a personal decision to be unplugged for our kids sake, but we do belong to Netflix and recently finished the first season of "Everest Beyond the Limit" from the Discovery Channel. I'm not a fan of most reality tv shows, although "The Deadliest Catch" is one of my absolute favorite shows but I think it has more to do with my love affair with Alaska than anything else. So when I ordered this show for Jaycob I expected it to be dry and boring, like how interesting could watching some men climb a large snow covered mountain be right? I was completely fascinated and stuck to the TV, in fact, I've suffered two nights of shortened sleep because of this show. It was fascinating to watch men with their dream of summitting go to the extreme point, dancing with death, to reach the highest point of the world. I don't at all understand it, see, I get the risky behavior on the "Deadliest Catch" because it's a means to the end of a large pot of cash and being someone who always worked too much, I get that. I don't get paying $40,000+ to risk a life and if one happens to survive they might not still have all of their digits and or in one man's case both of his feet. But I suppose it's as they say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and so I rooted them all on and won't sleep again later this week when the second season comes in the mail...

No comments: